Kristin Glasgow and Karen Offutt #
I was an executive stenographer.
- executive (adj.) 行政
- stenographer (n.) 速記員
I had top secret “eyes only” clearance.
- clearance (n. U) - official permission for something or the stateof having satisfied the official conditions of something.
Next to us there was a hamlet, and it housed a lot of people.
- hamlet (n. C) - a small village, usually without a church
I think talking to veterans… I went to the Moving Wall…
- veteran (n. C)
- a person who has had a lot of experience of aparticular activity
- [us informal vet] someone who has been in thearmed forces during a war
- the Moving Wall
This man came up and put his arm around me and he said, ”Welcome home, sister.” And I just started bawling because nobody had ever welcomed me home.
- bawl (v.) - to cry loudly
- bawl sb. out - to tell someone angrily that something they have done is wrong